Automobile Insurance Policy Coverage: Uninsured/Underinsured and Comprehensive & Collision

I am often asked, “What coverage is important to have on my automobile insurance policy?” I am not a licensed or trained insurance agent, but in over 25 years of representing people who have been injured, there two areas I would like to call to your attention:

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM) and, Comprehensive and collision

In Florida, you are only required to have personal injury protection/no fault insurance and property damage coverage, both in the amount of $10,000. Because the residents of Florida are not required to carry bodily injury coverage (BI), and many don’t carry any insurance, it is imperative that you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM) in an amount equal to your BI. Elect “stacking” if you have more than one (1) automobile.

Another area where people run into trouble is when their vehicle has been damaged or totaled, and they did not purchase comprehensive and collision insurance. Comprehensive and collision covers the damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault. It can cover damage from vandalism to accidents that are your fault, or the fault of someone else that is uninsured.

I trust this information is helpful. Of course, there are a number of other coverage’s you should review with your insurance agent, including, bodily injury (BI), medical payment, towing, rental, etc., in addition to the two (2) mentioned above.